“Almost one in every four college women in America has been victimized by an attempted or completed rape during their time in college.”
While the media highlights every mass shooting, other, more frequent offenses get relatively little attention. Almost one in every four college women in America has been victimized by an attempted or completed rape during their time in college. With 4,981 cases of aggregated assault and 3,284 forcible sexual offenses on college campuses over the previous term, schools need always seek better ways to protect their students. The response by most schools has been to install numerous Blue Light Phones. Calls to increase safety are resulting in schools just installing more of these phones. While seeing several blue lights at night on campus tours might give prospective students and their parents the impression of security, they are an outdated and inefficient means of emergency communication. The protection of our educational institutions demanded an effective alternative. This inspired us to create MyFlare Alert, a Modern Safety Solution.
Modernize outdated blue light phones
Blue Light Phone
- Not located in buildings
- Fails to account for movement
- Limited by physical location of phone
- Rarely used for emergencies
- Allows students and other members of the campus community to signal for help from anywhere
- Every three minutes, automatically and continuously sends up to 5 MyFlare Distress Messages via SMS text and up to 5 Emails to the user’s pre-selected Contacts, which include the user’s current GPS location, alerting them that the user is in trouble.
- Simultaneously sends optional 20-second audio-video recordings, capturing the user’s present environment, which are attached to the delivered Emails (How often is determined by the user)
- Instantly blasts an optional police siren continuously, except when the phone is in use
MyFlare Alert provides responders with more complete information about emergency situations, allowing them to respond efficiently and effectively.
Emergency Profile SummaryMyFlare Alert sends the user’s profile information with each distress message. Profile information provides responders with a physical description of the user, including a photo, making it faster and easier to identify them in a crowd. Information about the user’s allergies, pre-existing conditions, and medications could be critical in emergencies where urgent medical assistance is required.
Incident Reporting Allows for Easier and Better Compliance with the Clery Act:
MyFlare Alert™ Modernizing Student Safety
Don’t Leave Your Students Behind
1 Hussar, William. United States. U.S. Department of Education Institute of Education Sciences. Projections of Education Statistics to 2021. National Center for Education Statistics, 2013.
2 Fisher BS, Cullen FT, Turner MG. The Sexual Victimization of College Women. Washington, DC: Department of Justice, National Institute of Justice; 2000. Plublicaiton No.: NCJ182369.
3 U.S. Department of Education, Data on Campus Crime